Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Little steps, make a journey...

I weigh 207.0 pounds, blood pressure is 140/85 with a heart rate of 41 beats per minute, hopefully with a nice rhythm, irregular is the kind of fellow I want to be, not the way my heart works. I am still hiding from breaking out in muscular sweats for lots of reps and against gravity - the last of the cold lingers but it is going. I walk to the dock and notice that I can see the pathway along the road, the light has returned to my days. The trees aren't as green as this picture, the route is the same and budding has started on some of the early ones, Spring then Summer is to be looked for.

I stopped with my wife at a restaurant, and the waitress asked if I worked at McNeil Island, and I said yes. We ordered and when she brought back the drinks, she said "You're the guy that walks everyday." So easy to build a reputation, just by being a little different. There are, in good weather, other walkers, and a few in bad. Mostly everyone rides the bus, the American way. I have almost always walked down, unless I am running out of time to catch the ferry or I am ill for some reason. People think it is for my fitness that I do the walk, but for that I jog, the walk is for my mental health. The thick tree lined road, twisting with animal sign and sightings, takes me back to walking home in Pennsylvania, wondering where are the French and Indians. I use the time to daydream a bit, to wonder 'what if?' of many silly things. And then suddenly I am at the dock ready for the ferry boat ride.

Only one more time to walk, hard and fast, after arrival at the island dock the race starts to get inside the gates and get to work. I like the surge, passing the Headquarters building, to get to the entry gates, under tower guard control. Up the steps two at a time into Control and then work. My mind is ready, my spirit soared.

No comments: