Saturday, February 16, 2008

Why this way


My family doctor told me when first meeting me that I had to stop running, which meant that I stopped listening to him immediately. I should have walked out, but didn't. I took his medications, kept jogging and wore a heart monitor for over a day so he could see just how slow my heart rate would get while I rested or slept. It wasn't going to stop entirely he decided and he told me I could start running again. Today I weigh too much, 208.5 pounds, I should be about one hundred and eighty and would be very pleased at 185, which I haven't seen for awhile. My blood pressure seated is 130/84 with a heart rate of 43, so I am still out of good condition and will have to work on that among other things. I did go out to jog with 3.5 pounds of hand weights, I was out for fifty-seven minutes and twenty-two seconds coming back just in time to wave at a neighbor with an oxygen mask on being put into an ambulance. He must have had some chest pains, he walks daily and smokes while he does that. I smoked for eight years, 16 to 24, starting because of a government program and stopping from selfish self interest.

No comments: