Saturday, February 23, 2008

Thought better of it... and did it anyway


I wake before the alarms and get up and turn them off. I take my medicine and think I shouldn't go to the 15K today, my wife would agree with me. My sinus problem is there but doesn't seem that bad, still my wife would tell me not to run. About the third time I thought about not running because it was cold, I had a sinus problem and my wife would tell me not to run, I decided to go and run anyway. I weigh 206.5 pounds, blood pressure is 124/84 with a heart rate of 45 bpm. I make my gruel (oatmeal, grapenuts, chopped nuts and raisins with warm milk) and have a cup of coffee. I dress in layers and remind myself that it is only 9.3 miles to run - anyone can jog for that distance.

I drive by the closed Triumph Dealership, promising myself that I will visit it when it is open, my wife wants a sissy bar on my bike for when she goes with me. The sky is clear and blue and the Olympic Mountains and Mount Rainier are brightly reflecting the Sunshine from their fresh snows. I am early but I do get my number and wander, listening and then slowly stretching and checking the heart monitor's function, I reposition the belt for better contact. I am cheating just a bit, I left my partials at home so I am lighter - not that it will make a difference.

At nine the gun (not really, must have been a horn) sounds and we move out, I am ready to start my watch as I cross the starting line, I already know I am going to be slow - I have been sick. I jog along, keeping my pace up for the first three miles, after that I kind of fall into the what ever feels good pace - the one I day dream to so well. Before I hit my turn around the fastest fifteen miler flys by - so fast and so smooth. I make the turn and the three men trying to catch the leader speed by me, too. Ah, since I know I am slow, not a real problem. Don't I wonder if I was ever fast enough - not racing fast but speedier than now, was I? Well, I make it in, cheered on by kind folks that know it takes effort to show up and start and then finish. Finishing is great! I burned 869 Kcal and 45% of it was fat (a pound of fat is 1600 Kcal) my average Heartrate is 108 bpm (so slow), in zone only 17 minutes and 2 seconds, total exercise time one hour, fifty-eight minutes and sixteen seconds. I am pleased that I have run, just not proud.

I firmly believe that I beat everyone that hasn't jogged today - because I am sure movement is very important to life, very. Still my average speed was 12.69 minutes per mile. Such a slug. I go back home and get hot soup for lunch and find out what my wife's plans are for the day. I go take a nap and will my muscles to loosen up a bit. I check my email, find I have a meeting I am supposed to be at, make it and then ride off on my motorcycle. The run has me feeling like such an old man I want the powerful feeling back, roll on that throttle.

I ride off into the last of the Sunshine and wave at the other motorcyclists, too good a day to miss. I stop at the Harley-Davidson dealership - saw something to look at one day, nothing to buy. I then get back on the road and hit the highway, long enough to feel really powerful. Then I exit to find the Triumph Dealership open and look around (they are repainting) and talk to one of the staff. He asks me when I got my America, and I realize it was exactly a year ago I rode it home in the rain, scared I was going to do something stupid (stalled it three times, dropped it at home). He then asked how many miles I had on it and I said 8400, he said I really ride. Yes, I do and I mentioned the long trip to Minnesota. I left, the Sun had gone down, and it would get colder riding. Time to call it a day, a very good day it was, too.

No comments: