Monday, February 18, 2008

Survival is important to the living...


As I get older and older and really older I often think about quality of life - being old isn't great if you feel that you are truly falling apart faster than you can heal and recover. Watching Bob Woodruff covering the recovering vets from IEDs in Iraq and knowing there are real people inside those minds and bodies that are struggling to regain funciton, full function -- and there are some fat clerks telling them that medical, mental and financial support isn't authorized in the quantity or quality needed. Well, I like to think that many will recover and get better because they are young and struggling, something like that happening to me or someone elder might just close us down, our lives have been lived and it is over, thank God.

Breda covers another dead woman, attacked & destroyed by something ugly and probably predatory male. Wondering if we will ever learn and telling women to fight back, although the PC crowd says stay inside, travel in groups and carry a whistle. I like to think you should carry a boot knife, pointed, double edged, one piece (not a folder nor switch blade, butterfly type), blade between three and a half inches to five depending on your body size. And one would hope you know where to stick it - don't slash, stick it in many times making many holes to bleed from. The Roman Legions won battles sticking their slashing enemies. They lost an empire when they decided to allow someone else to protect them and fight their wars (government inaction and lack of personal responsibility). I also recommended a .45 cal derringer they really come in various calibers and sizes, and again must be practiced with and then used in time of danger, like immediately-- there isn't any talking ugly out of bad behavior, shoot the cur. The pistol becomes a problem of current anti-gun legislation but then they don't really care if you live or die - just that you obey their laws (government in action & inaction, a 2fer!).

Martial arts are good, for physical fitness and sport, and if you get real serious about it to kill or disable the ugly fool... but that is a lot of serious and lots of work and most will never get that far. I am at the age that I want to start my Aikido training, but haven't found the time, place nor instructor to lead me - in other words I am not really serious, yet.

Weight this morning 205.0 pounds, blood pressure 122/75 with a heart rate of 49 bpm. My friend asked if I hurt after running on Saturday, and I said 'No', and he said I hadn't worked out hard enough - but I don't think one has to hurt to progress; maybe do more, do it faster, do it unbalanced and different - but I don't think pain is important as a gage of progress, only in one's limits. I do knock out fifty reps of the basic three, bent leg situps, push ups, and squats - the minimum every human should do daily. So little to ask. Speaking of asking, honey-do's need done. Done, and now do I ride the motorcycle or jog for my heart - responsibility again rules - I jog. The Sunshine is great, fifty-four degrees, I watch the motorcycles throb past me, sigh. I am on a mission: 626 kcal and forty percent of that fat burned, average Heart rate 119 bpm, in zone 54 min 11 seconds, exercise time total one hour and fifty-seven seconds. I passed a heart walker, he said he hasn't seen me in awhile, I told him I was old and lying to myself about it being too wet, too cold and just too awful to go jog in...

The only pain I really worry over is that big one waiting, in the left arm or center of my chest - Dad said it felt like a mule kicked him when he had his, and he was farm boy enough to know how that would have felt. It's in the genes, and my jeans, ya know? I get more like that picture every day in every way.

No comments: