Sunday, May 18, 2008

Face one's fears



Early rising, six o'clock and the Sunshine is waiting for lazybones. I weigh 208.0 pounds (blaming my reluctance to run or jog on my foot) my blood pressure is 119/70 (!!!!) with a heart rate of 37 bpm. I sip on my coffee, look at the blogs and decide I have no reason not to go jog. So I put on the heart rate monitor chest strap and get my shoes on, sweat pants and sleeveless yellow shirt. I won't hurt many people's eyes - there really aren't a lot of folks out watching me. Only one jogger who was dashing down the drive, a walker that could have been a lightweight boxer once, and two bicyclists out for their health.

Well, the foot isn't that much pain, but the fear is foolish but constantly trying to build my excuse for not going far enough. Well, I do the longer route, and think I have forgotten how far the distances were - no longer a very familiar distance and friend. I find three pennies and one of them when I was thinking about carrying a pistol today, a sign! Well the numbers are 524 calories, 50% of them FAT ones!, Hr average 117, in Zone 49 minutes 39 seconds, Exercising for 54 minutes and 34 seconds. I worked on what Doubletapper had encouraged me to do - sprint then jog when I couldn't, then sprint again. Now I remember dimly that the purpose of Fartlek was to put play back into tough training for better racing, but going back and forth was refreshing and allowed me to increase stride and pace knowing that I could back off when I became a heart attack waiting to happen. It was a good run work out and the foot feels fine, funny but fine. Look at the lady flying over the bridge, lovely morning.

No comments: