Friday, March 7, 2008

Maxed out and no stress...


I weigh 210.0 pounds today, sigh, and my blood pressure is 131/80 with a heart rate of 48 beats per minute. My wife stayed home and nursed her cold, but is still ill, I sweat through the night and dreamed much about other things. She warned me not to exercise in the morning, after hearing one of her favorite television doctor expert say it was dangerous for those with high blood pressure. I reminded her that I don't have high blood pressure any longer, and that I am in charge of my exercise (temporarily non-existent) time, type and place. Too long too happy with early morning PT (physical training) in the Army, before cleaning up and going to work or training for the day -- very difficult to change bad habits. I want that nap and unwinding at the end of the day.

My mother has fears, she is in a nursing home for treatment of her problems and her mind has too much time to dwell. Long ago she wrote a story about two adults that were driving through a National Park, admiring the great trees and pure beauty. They stopped to get out and discovered that they had lost their legs. It seems their legs had gotten tired of just sitting in the car, at the restaurants and motels -- so the legs just up and left so they could walk and run around like they had so many years before adulthood settled frisky. Well, they called their children over to help them find their legs (children were out and about playing with full use of limbs). The children finally found the AWOL legs and negotiated a return but the parents had to promise daily usage and certain mileage minimums. She wanted me to do pictures for it and to make a children's book of it. It never happened but it isn't a story for children, it is one for adults. More adults lose lower limbs to diabetes than children, and my mother may remember that her poor circulation in her legs could cause drastic measures for saving her life - but it isn't that bad yet. They are working her daily in physical therapy and making her march, moving those legs (which she wouldn't do on her own) so I have lots of hope for her recovering with continued programs of activity - at least to a certain point. Most fears are found in the mind and grow in darkness and depression - turn on the lights, and fight! and pray for better...

No comments: